A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Friday, April 25, 2014

Anzac Day at 99

It has been 99 years today since the landings at Gallipoli. After nearly a century, all the soldiers on both sides that day are now gone.

I have posted so frequently on Gallipoli that I risk merely repeating myself. My Anzac Day posts in 2011 and last year probably sum up the main points of the importance in developing  the national identities not just of Australia and New Zealand but also of the Turkish Republic.

See also my Veteran's Day/Remembrance Day post of last year, on the Atatürk monuments in Australia and New Zealand, and this post about the Arab (mostly Syrian) regiments who fought at Gallipoli.

I will therefore refer you to those links for my previous musings, pictures, and music, on this Anzac Day.

No comments: