A Blog by the Editor of The Middle East Journal

Putting Middle Eastern Events in Cultural and Historical Context

Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Washington Post on Jim Zogby

I probably should have linked to this yesterday, when it appeared, but better late than never. (I think I sometimes assume that all my readers wake up with The Washington Post on their doorstep, as I do, and I don't need to comment on it. Then I remember the Internet reaches beyond the Beltway.) Yesterday's Washington Post Style section led with a front page article on James Zogby of the Arab American Institute. Jim is no stranger to those of us who do the Middle East beat in Washington, but he may be less familiar to some of those outside the Beltway or across the pond, so do read it if you don't know him. (And of course you should read it if you do know him. So just read it anyhow, okay?)

I first crossed paths with Jim in the 1970s I think, and we've both grayed a bit. In those days I hadn't yet heard of his brother John, the pollster, though John today is the better known brother. But Jim keeps doing the work that needs to be done.

I'm not sure if it's the "Ground Zero Mosque," the general atmosphere of suspicion of Islam, or what exactly, that made them profile Zogby now. I'm also not sure why they made sure to put "Catholic" in the headline itself. Are they saying, "he's not a Muslim, so you can read about him", or what? After all, many Arab-Americans of deep roots in this country are Arab Christians, particularly among the Lebanese. I guess they're trying to make him less threatening. (Jim Zogby is a bright and intense guy, but anything but threatening.) Congratulations Jim, for a well-deserved tribute.

No comments: